Thursday, December 6, 2012

Off Script

I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm no dunce either.

But, my daughter made quite the fool out of me yesterday.

I have teacher's manuals that go with my kids' books in school.  One of them being Josie's spelling.

Now, I'm sure you can all remember having a spelling test. The teacher says the word, says a sentence using the word, then repeats the word. 

Well, all that is included in the teacher's manual, the word, and sentence. It's like a script.

But, if you've read here long enough, you know we aren't the "follow the script" type of people.

Nope.

I like to make up my own sentences. And, if I'm honest, most of the time they are song lyrics. And, if I being ever more honest, I sing the sentence.

House.
Our house, is a very, very, very fine house. With 2 cats in the yard.
House.

Fire.
Come on baby, light my fire. Set the night on FIRE!!
Fire.

Kentucky.
Kentucky bluebird. I heard your song today.
Kentucky.


Most of the time, despite my foolishness, Josie gets the words correct.

One word she was guaranteed to get correct was: respect.

Can you see where this is going?

Respect.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
Respect.

Wait, mom, can you say that again? I didn't get it.

And I repeat it!! Again and again because my daughter "didn't understand" what I was saying.

That's what I get for going off script,I guess.

3 comments:

  1. I'd pay money to see you belting out songs for a spelling test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't worth any amount of money! Trust me.

      Delete
  2. That is HYSTERICAL! Now tell me... what color is George Washington's white horse?

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Even if you just say "HI!".