There are times when I go to bed so stinkin' frustrated because not only did I not manage to cross everything off my "to-do" list, I can't even find the stinkin' list anymore.
I ask myself "Self? Where did your day go? What did you do? Sure, you have 4 kids, you homeschool, you try to have a life. But, seriously? The floors are still dirty?"
Today, I decided to seriously evaluate where my time goes. And, if I am to be honest, a bigger portion than I thought goes to the internet. Blogging (cough, cough.Ok. Reading blogs), facebook, couponing websites, and a big chunk of the big portion of internet time goes to my kids' school program.
But, in theory, I still have plenty of time to get my other chores done.
Did you catch that? In theory.
For example, I did try to get all my floors mopped/ vacuumed today. We only have a one bath, three bedroom home. Shouldn't be a problem, right.
First, I try to tackle the living room. This is what happened:
- Picked up all toys, shoes, clothing, DVDs and other various random articles off of the floor.
- Got out the broom.
- Got called away to help Josie find page 1 in her text book. Yes. Page ONE.
- On way back to living room, notice cobwebs in hallway.
- Search closet for duster.
- Spill Easter baskets full of plastic eggs.
- Eggs scatter everywhere.
- Spend 5 minutes picking up eggs and questioning why I keep them in the first place.
- Get asked to help Jayce with his vocab test.
- On way back to living room, again, notice the time. I have approx. 30 minutes until Jeven will be home.
- Sweep living room floor. Take cushions off couch to vac the couch.
- Spend 5 minutes collecting hot wheels, markers, LPS and various other objects one might find in a toy box, not a couch.
- Vacuum couch and corners of living room floor.
- Get asked to help Josie with her math.
- Spend 20 minutes discussing why she must do all 10 problems and not skip them.
- Get Jeven off school bus.
- Immediately try to distract Jeven from jumping on the cushionless couch.
- Make lunch.
- Clean up lunch.
- Find something entertaining for Jeven to do. Involves paint.
- Put cushions back on couch.
- Decide sweeping is almost the same as mopping.
- Clean up paint Jeven has dripped down the hallway.
- Notice Jeven has paint in his ears.
- Spend 7 minutes arguing with Jeven as to why he will be taking a shower and not a bath.
- Help Josie with her science chart.
- Help Jayce with his grammar assignment.
- Decide Jeven must take a nap.
- Finish up school with big kids.
- Jeven awake. (JOY)
- Jarrett home.
- Grocery shopping.
- Clean up after dinner.
- Receive phone call friend's dad died.
- Call friend.
- Put kids to bed.
- Veg in front of t.v.
- Realize the living room floor is the only floor in the house that got any attention.
- Realize that is not true. I wiped the hallway with a paper towel when Jeven dripped paint down it.
- Realize life is short. My floors will always be dirty. I will always have cobwebs. I will forever be fixing some sort of meal for my family. However, I will not always have a 5 yr. old to spread paint. I am doing my kids a huge favor by schooling them at home. It's just some days, some days seem pointless and never ending at the same time. I guess it's all about perspective.