Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thanks for the tips!

First, thank you all so much for your suggestions and tips on handling "Zane".
I would like to take just a minute to address some of the suggestions and questions:

  • Sitting next to the teacher will be the first thing I try!
  • Although I LOVE the idea of a weighted vest, I don't really see how I could get Zane into one without causing a scene.  "Hello Zane's mother.  Before he comes into the classroom could he please put on this special vest?  Oh, no, none of the other children are wearing one. Just your son"  I don't think that would go over very well! 
  • As much as I would love to have an assistant, we just don't have the staff.  At our church, the children out number the adults.  For example, at Jeven's bday party there were 16 children and 5 moms.  Us Baptists like to procreate, what can we say! Anyways, by the time we have nursery workers, a teacher for elementary  and another for the teens, that doesn't leave many people for assisting in my class.  Although, the very first day Zane was in my class, I did have a helper. And she couldn't control him either without causing a ruckus.
  • As far as the mom goes, I've observed her and she seems to be very physical with him.  Which may explain why he doesn't like to be touched.  She seems at a loss on how to control him . I am not sure if she's contacted any outside help or not.  It's one of those situations where I feel unless she asks for help, it's not my place to intrude. (I don't think there's abuse, just that grabbing him is the first thing she does) I am hoping that I will be able to find some things that work well with Zane and just happen to mention them to her when she picks him up.  
At this point, they haven't been back to church so...all this may have been for nothing!  Although, I imagine that eventually I will have more children in my class with special circumstances.
If he does come back, I will try having him sit in a special chair next to me and just be patient and kind and firm, all at the same time.  I am hoping eventually, he will get use to being in the classroom setting and calm down.

Fingers crossed! 

1 comment:

  1. The only thing that concerns me is if someone accuses you of something absurd in the classroom then you do not have another adult to back you up. Talk to your Pastor about the Christian Law ASsociation and what they recommend. It is very serious in today's society and the need to sue.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Even if you just say "HI!".