Sunday, November 16, 2008

Daisy


We have a dog. An almost 9 yr. old English Bulldog named Daisy.
Now those of you that know me in real life, know how Daisy and I have a love-hate relationship. And less on the love part.

I am not a dog person. Other people's dogs are fine. And I am not so cold hearted that I don't enjoy a cute puppy.
I never wanted a dog but my husband did. I never wanted an inside dog but my husband did. So, like many wives before me, I gave in. I even went out and purchased the dog.

But, in case you don't know, Bulldogs are gross. They shed. They slobber. Snort. Snore. And smell. Especially our Bulldog. She has some sort of ear condition that is untreatable and makes her ears grow yeast like stuff. Imagine THAT smell. Not nice.
We have had more serious fights about this dog than any other subject.

I must admit, she is an AWESOME dog for a family with young children. We got her when Jayce was only 2 and she has never harmed him or any of the other babies that followed. She will lay there and let anyone do anything to her. Our cat, when she was a kitten would actually go and try and nurse off of Daisy. The dog would just roll over and let that cat try it's hardest to get milk out of a spayed Bulldog.
Her spirit is truly "mans best friend".

She is getting old. 8 yrs. is average for this breed. Besides the ear thing, she has started pottying in the house. Which I HATE! And sometimes, she does it when we're gone and it sits. On our new wood flooring.

In my heart, I think it's time to say goodbye to our old friend.
But, how do I convince my husband. To put down his dog. That I have resented for 9 years.

There is no way I can bring it up without it backfiring.
It needs to be his decision. But, like many husbands before him, Judd loves his dog. And I know it would crush him if he had to make that decision. I think he's hoping she'll just go quietly in her sleep.


I have done my dues with diapers and middle of the night feedings. I feel it's unfair to have to clean up dog pee/poop in the middle of the night as well.

I am trying my hardest to be patient. And compassionate. And it's hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! Even if you just say "HI!".