Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm Busy

Before there is any finger pointing, I must clear something up from the very beginning. I TRY not to say to my kids "I'm busy" when I am well, busy. I will say "I will do that when I am done with this" or "In one hour,it will be lunch time" or " You have to wait just a little while then I will get you some." I want them to know that I do have work other than meeting their every want and desire. Sometimes, what I am doing is more important than getting them their 4th cookie.

But, somewhere my little boys have picked up the term I'm Busy. However, they don't use it in the right sense.

At the dinner table, I told Jarrett he needed to eat 3 green beans. His response: "I can't. I'm busy."
Huh?

"Jarrett, you need to go get dressed"
"I don't want to. I"m busy"
"Jarett, it's time for bed"
"I don't want to go to bed! I'm busy"

And it's not just Jarrett.

This morning, Jeven wanted to come into bed with us. I asked him what was wrong and he said "I don't know. I'm busy."

So, apparently "I'm busy" is a general term to either get you out of something you don't want to do or when you are trying to get something you don' t normally get.

I am curious where they've picked this term up in the first place.
At least it's not pure sass. It's hard to keep a straight face when they defy you with the use of improper grammar.

1 comment:

Please comment! Even if you just say "HI!".